Web hosts are companies that are connected to the internet and that allow you to store files on their computers.
All computers attached to the Internet have an IP address. Your web host is the computer people will connect to when they want to view your website.
What is a Web Host?
Here’s how it works.
- A visitor types in a domain name to request a specific webpage from their computer or mobile device.
- The web host, which has all the webpage files stored on it, sends the requested page back to the visitor.
Why Should You Buy Web Hosting?
Now, you might be asking why you need a web host when you already have a computer that can access the internet. Why pay for a web host? Can’t you do it yourself?
The short answer is that unless you are extremely familiar with web server technology, you should never host your own site. Here are a few reasons why you should go with a web hosting company.
- Security – Web hosting companies already have the security measures in place to prevent people from hacking into the site and stealing, defacing, or deleting content.
- Spam Filters – They also have numerous spam filters in place to prevent viruses and spammers from damaging their computers.
- Software – They usually include all the software you’d need to run a successful site already installed, so you don’t have to hunt down and install various features and programs.
- Cost – And, they’re pretty cheap. You’d spend far more money trying to do it yourself than you will paying the few bucks a month.
While there are several different types of web hosting, the intro level pricing is usually in the $5-10 per month for business hosting.