If you use your small business website to generate leads or sell your services, creating compelling small business web content is a must. Good websites have informative articles that appeal to visitors and are optimized for search engines. Writing great content doesn’t have to be challenging. Here are 10 tips for small business web content development.
- Solve Your Readers’ Problems – Write your web content from your readers’ perspective. They want to know “what’s in it for me?” If they are visiting your website, they have likely typed in a keyword in Google and are looking for an answer to a question or information related to their search. What do they want to know? By providing articles and information related to your prospects’ problems, you build your credibility as an authority on that subject matter. Providing valuable web content is the first step to “pre-selling” your services.
- Monitor Google Analytics – Install the free Google Analytics software on your website to keep track of what keywords people search for. Each week, scan through the list to brainstorm new content to write. For any keyword, consider crafting one of the 5W+H questions: Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? Now you have 6 ideas for that keyword.
- Monitor Q&A Sites – Visit Quora.com or Yahoo Answers to see what people ask. Make a list of all the questions you find. Then, answer one question per week.
- Share Your Expertise – What are frequently asked questions beginners ask you? What do newbies want to know most? You probably already answer these questions whenever you talk with prospects. Write up your answers and provide them on your website.
- Give Dull Research a New Spin – If you keep up with your industry, you probably hear key numbers and statistics regularly. How can you make these numbers exciting to your readers? Don’t just report. Offer an opinion to jazz things up.
- Curate – Consider writing up a weekly round up of the top blog posts, news or stories you find about your industry.
- Ask Readers For Questions – If you aren’t sure what to write about, ask your readers “What is your biggest question or challenge regarding [your subject matter]?”
- Keyword Research – Type your main keyword into the Google Adwords Keyword Tool to generate a list of hundreds of possible keywords to write about.
- Google Search Suggestions – Type your main keyword into the main Google search box and Google will automatically provide you with a list of search suggestions.
- Use Comments As Seeds For New Discussion – If you have a blog, visitors may post comments regularly. Read through those comments, choose the most interesting, and write a brand new article or post about it.
By focusing on your readers comments, problems and questions, you can quickly generate a stream of web content ideas for your small business website.